In what should be viewed as a very positive transaction for the community, this landmark Romanesque Revival church building has been sold to Stella, LLC., a new venue development and event production company based in Cambria City. Terms of the purchase enabled 1901 Church to recover all of the community's investment in Casimir since 2011 and provided for a conservation easement, committing the owner of this property to preserve the current exterior appearance of this building in perpetuity. Stella should be a conscientious and caring trustee of this precious property. This company's mission is to develop culturally significant, historical properties by respecting their past and creating exciting plans for their future. For more information on Stella and its plans for Casimir, visit Stella's website.

Saint Kazimir's Polish Catholic Congregation began construction of this brick and stone building in 1902. Designed by Johnstown architect, Walter Myton, the church featured a single story above the flood plain and a full basement for use as a social hall. Around the time it was opened in 1907, the church was recognized by then-Pope Pius X, who granted those faithful Catholics who visited St. Casimir a plenary indulgence (remission of temporal punishment for sin either for oneself or the soul of a deceased). In exchange for the parish priests' efforts to recruit workers from Poland, Cambria Steel Company deducted money from Polish employees' paychecks to help finance the parish's upkeep.


Hungarian immigrants organized St. Ladislaus Parish in 1905 and renamed it "St. Emerich" after completing the construction of their church at Sixth Avenue and Chestnut Street in 1913. St. Emerich's congregation merged with St. Casimir in 1990 and the St. Emerich church building was demolished in 2003.